This Unit 11 Research Project is assessed by a Pearson-set assignment. Students will choose their own project based on a theme provided by Pearson (this will change annually). The project must be related to their specialist pathway of study (unless the student is studying the general business pathway). This will enable students to explore and examine a relevant and current topical aspect of business in the context of the business environment and their chosen specialist pathway.The aim of this unit is to offer students the opportunity to engage in sustained research in a specific field of study. The unit enables students to demonstrate the capacity and ability to identify a research theme, to develop research aims, objectives and outcomes, and to present the outcomes of such research in both written and verbal formats. The unit also encourages students to reflect on their engagement in the research process during which recommendations for future, personal development are key learning points.On successful completion of this unit students will have the confidence to engage in problem-solving and research activities which are part of the function of a manager. Students will have the fundamental knowledge and skills to enable them to investigate workplace issues and problems, determine appropriate solutions and present evidence to various stakeholders in an acceptable and understandable format
Learning Outcomes & Essential Contents
LO1 Examine appropriate research methodologies and approaches as part of the research process
Developing a research proposition:
- The importance of developing methodical and valid propositions as the foundation for a research project.
- Rationale – the purpose and significance for research question or hypothesis.
- The value of the philosophical position of the researcher and the chosen methods.
- Use of Saunders's research onion as a guide to establishing a methodological approach.
- Conceptualisation of the research problem or hypothesis.
- The importance of positioning a research project in context of existing knowledge.
- Significance and means of providing benchmarks by which data can be judged.
Qualitative, quantitative and mixed method research:
- Key theoretical frameworks for research.
- Advantages and limitations of qualitative and quantitative research approaches and methods.
LO2 Conduct and analyse research relevant for a business research project
Research as a process:
- Research has distinct phases which support a coherent and logical argument. This includes using secondary research to inform a primary, empirical, study.
Selecting a sample:
- The importance of gathering data and information (qualitative or quantitative) to support research analysis.
- Selecting sample types and sizes that are relevant to the research.
- Considering sampling approaches and techniques including probability and nonprobability sampling.
Ethics, reliability and validity:
- Research should be conducted ethically. How is this achieved and reported?
- Research should also be reliable (similar results would be achieved from a similar sample) and valid (the research measures what it aimed to measure).
- Using data collection tools such as interviews and questionnaires.
- Using analytical techniques such as trend analysis, coding or typologies.
LO3 Communicate the outcomes of a research project to identified stakeholders
- Who are they?
- Why would they be interested in the research outcomes?
- What communication method do they expect?
Communicating research outcomes:
- Consideration of different methods of communicating outcomes (e.g. written word, spoken word) and the medium (e.g. report, online, presentation). The method and medium will be influenced by the research and its intended audience.
- No matter what the method/medium, all research should be convincing and presented logically where the assumption is that the audience has little or no knowledge of the research process.
- The importance of developing evaluative conclusions.
LO4 Reflect on the application of research methodologies and concepts
Reflection for learning and practice:
- Difference between reflecting on performance and evaluating a research project. The former considers the research process; the latter considers the quality of the research argument and use of evidence.
- Reflection on the merits, limitations and potential pitfalls of the chosen methods.
The cycle of reflection:
- To include reflection in action and reflection on action.
- Considering how to use reflection to inform future behaviour and future considerations.
- Avoiding generalisation and focusing on personal development and the research journey in a critical and objective way.
- COSTLEY, C., ELLIOT, G. and GIBBS, P. (2010) Doing Work Based Research: Approaches to Enquiry for Insider-researchers. London: SAGE.
- FLICK, U. (2011) Introducing Research Methodology: A Beginner’s Guide to Doing a Research Project. London: SAGE.
- International Journal of Quantitative and Qualitative Research.
- Qualitative Research Journal.
- BTEC Unit 8 Research Project Report Assignment465 views | 4 daysAim: To develop learners’ skills of independent enquiry and critical analysis by undertaking a sustained research investigation of direct relevance to their Higher Education programme and...
- Unit 7 Research Skills256 views | 4 daysIntroduction Research skills equip learners with a higher level of knowledge and skills that will allow them to be self-directed and focused in a specific field of expertise. Research is under...
- Unit 8 Research Project457 views | 3 days1.1 Introduction and guidance This assignment contributes to developing your research skills along with project management skills. It is an attempt to blend and direct your learning towards deve...
- Unit 11 Research Project Assignment – ASDA359 views | 4 daysIntroduction Employee turnover is the main concern of every company and employees are the one who help them out in achieving their set targets by completing the assigned tasks. This Unit 11 ...
- Unit 11 Research Project Child Minders Assignment420 views | 4 daysProgram BTEC Higher National Diploma in Business Unit Number and Title Unit 11 Research Project Child Minders ...
- Unit 11 Marketing Research Project Assignment - Next Plc422 views | 4 daysIntroduction This Unit 11 Marketing Research Project Assignment Next Plc is processed in order to measure the need of marketing in Next. Marketing is essentially required in order to ma...
- Unit 11 Research Project Assignment - Aldi Supermarket473 views | 4 daysIntroduction Research study is processed for the purpose of extracting effective set of information. this Unit 11 Research Project Assignment Aldi Supermarket is processed in order to m...
- Unit 11 Conflicts of Globalization in Organizations Assignment439 views | 4 daysProgram BTEC Higher National Diploma in Business Unit Number and Title Unit 11 Conflicts of Globalization in Organizations ...