This unit is aimed to give scholars best possible understandings and knowledge of business sector i.e. how an organizations function and needed what kind of business environments in which they not only operate but also grow. Scholars will get knowledge and learn about various types of organizations (profit and not for profit), their team size and scope (i.e. micro, Small & Medium Enterprise, transnational and global) and how they operate.
Studetns will have to explore the relationships of organisations with their stakeholders, relationship management with them and how the external business environment impacts and influence the business decision making.
This unit will help students in choosing their preferred areas of future studies and professional career as with this unit students achieve knowledge, understand and skill sets for business.
Learning Outcomes & Essential Contents
LO1 Explain the different types, size and scope of organisations
Different types of organisations:
- Differences between for profit and not for profit and non-government organisations (NGOs).
- Micro, small, medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). Different business purposes, objectives and supply of goods and services.
- The range of legal structures associated with different forms of business: sole traders, partnerships and private limited companies.
- Size and scope of organisations:
- Differences between large, medium-sized and small organisations including objectives and goals, market share, profit share, growth and sustainability.
- Global growth and developments of transnational, international and global organisations.
- Differences between franchising, joint ventures and licensing.
- Industrial structures and competitive analysis.
- Market forces and economic operations e.g. scarcity and choice, supply and demand, income elasticity.
- Stakeholders and responsibilities of organisations to meet different stakeholder interests and expectations.
LO2 Demonstrate the interrelationship of the various functions within an organisation and how they link to organisational structure
The various functions within an organisation:
- The role of marketing, finance, human resource management and operations within an organisational context and the interrelationships.
- How functions relate to overall organisation mission and objectives.
- Different structures depending upon the size and scope of the organisation, including bureaucratic and post-bureaucratic, parent, strategic business units (SBUs), matrix and functional levels.
- Organisation structures and complexities of transnational, international and global organisations.
LO3 Use contemporary examples to demonstrate both the positive and negative influence/impact the macro environment has on business operations
The context of the macro environment:
- The application of the PESTLE framework and how organisations need to monitor and forecast external influences.
How the macro environment influences/impacts upon business activities:
- the impact of the digital revolution on production and consumption; the impact of social technologies; cyberspace security; emerging BRICS markets, the global shift in economic and social power and ethical and sustainable growth.
- How organisations go through the transformation process and overcome resistance to change in response to the changing market environment.
LO4 Determine the internal strengths and weaknesses of specific businesses and explain their interrelationship with external macro factors
Frameworks for analysis:
- Introduction to SWOT and/or TOWS analysis and how they can assist in the decision-making process within organisations.
- Key external macro factors including the competitive environment and government intervention that influence organisations and business.
- BPALMER, A. and HARTLEY, B. (2011) The Business Environment. 7th Ed. Maidenhead: McGraw-Hill.
- ARON, P. (2012) Business and its Environment. 7th Ed. London: Prentice Hall.
- Unit 1 Business Environment - Primark Assignment brief482 views | 4 daysTask 1 Case study - PRIMARK Primark is a subsidiary company of the ABF (Associated British Foods) Group. The company was launched in 1969 in Ireland trading as Penny's. By 2000, there wer...
- Edexcel Unit 1 Business Environment Assignment Brief450 views | 3 daysLearning outcomes and assessment criteria Task 1 – Individual written report Select one local charity and one national large business (large PLC or Ltd.) and prepare a report addres...
- Unit 1 Business Environment Assignment Brief380 views | 3 daysIntroduction A company that has been highly successful in a developing country now believes that is products and methods may also prove popular and effective on wider, even global, basis. As a s...
- LSST Unit 1 Business Environment311 views | 2 daysIntroduction The business environment is ever changing however key aspects never change. The diagram below shows the business environment. Organisations have to be aware of their competitors, th...
- Unit 1 Business and the Business Environment415 views | 4 days1.1 Introduction The aim of this unit is to provide students with background knowledge and understanding of business, the functions of an organisation and the wider business environments in whic...
- Global Factors on Business Environment Assignment475 views | 4 daysIntroduction The Global Factors on Business Environment Assignment will show the glimpses of the business environment where the influences of the different aspects will be shown based on th...
- Unit 1 Impact of Dynamic Business Environment Assignment439 views | 4 daysIntroduction Business environment is the combination of different factors like political, social, economical, technological, legal and environmental factors which influence the activities of...
- Unit 1 Organizational Purposes of Business Environment Assignment448 views | 4 daysIntroduction On forming any business organization all the strategies of the company have to be worked out. The organization has to make decisions regarding the future prospects of the compan...
- Unit 1 Economic Systems in Business Environment Assignment496 views | 4 daysIntroduction As an analyst and consultant of the educational sector business at Deloitte Consulting I’m analyzing BPP University. BPP University is a private sector University offering edu...
- Unit 1 Essay on Business Environment Assignment471 views | 4 daysIntroduction The business environment is a place that has something for everyone that wants to step into it and this can be said based on the fact that there are many companies that have the...