This is a PPD Self-Learning Assignment in which we discuss personal and professional development with self managed learning and ideas.
Self – managed learning as the name suggests is defined as skills and abilities developed by learning done by own. In the today’s world this is really very necessary as the world is so competent and people don’t have time to do professional development training for everything. This self managed learning can be helpful in both professional as well as personal life. And self managed learning can help in enhancing lifelong development.
LO1 Understand how self- managed learning can enhance lifelong development.
1.1 Evaluate approaches to self-managed learning.
These are many approaches through which self managed learning can be acquired. Some of these are seminars, conferences, group discussion, debates, social networking, internet, etc. We will discuss some of them here:
- Seminar and Conferences: This is one of the most effective ways of self managed learning. People who do not have proper communication skills and who have public speaking phobia should indulge in more of these seminars and conferences so that they can develop their communication skills. This is also a wonderful platform for people to share their knowledge, their views, their different perspectives towards things, etc.
- Group discussions, debates: in group discussion and debates that are speaking on the same topic and everyone gets a chance to put on their own views. This gives different pictures of the same story. This people to grow and learn how to make their point in front of other people ( 1999). The group discussions and debates groom the personality of people and make them confident. It helps them to learn the skill of convincing others. This is a great boon for people to strengthen their communication skills.
- Social networking: Today most of the people like to spend their time on social networking websites and almost everyone use it. People great a great opportunity to gain knowledge on the social networking websites where they can read what happening in the current world from other’s posts. They can communicate with other via chat, can post their views on different issues, they can follow people to know what is going in their life. The social networking sites are a great boon for self manages learning.
- Internet: Internet has been transformed by a million times with the invention of google. Any information is just a google search away from everyone. Information on everything can be searched on google and helps people to learn about different things. There a lot of books available online which can help in self managed learning, lot of blogs are available, millions of websites, discussion forums, etc.
1.2 Propose ways in which lifelong learning in personal and professional development context could be encouraged
Lifelong learning in personal and professional development context can be encouraged by many ways like doing a continuous SWOT (strengths, weaknesses, threats, opportunities) analysis and self reflective learning. This should be done on a periodic basis so that there should be a continuous development for lifelong which will be helpful both in the personal and professional life. This can be done by constantly seeking feedback from people after working on some grey area and improving that to make sure that you are on the right track of development (Wilkins, 1997). By doing SWOT analysis, one come to know about what are the fields they are good at and which of them they need improvement in. This can also be encouraged if one speaks about their problems, their shortcomings with others, share them with others and seek for methods to overcome them and solve them. The encouragement can also be given by analyzing the performance of people on a graphical basis and try and understand the weak links and try to improve them. The SWOT analysis can be done by using various tools like Self Reflective learning and continuing professional development.
1.3 Evaluate the benefits of self-managed learning to the individuals and organizations
There are lot of benefits of self managed learning to the individuals and the organization in which they are working. Self managed learning is really very effective as this is gained by own experience, hard work, learning, training. This is acquired without any professional help and has been developed by oneself so this remains for a long time and helps people in their personal and professional life. The performance of any organization depends on the performance of the employees working for it, hence of the employees are developing skills it will surely be beneficial for he organization itself and its performance will get better (West, 1997).
LO2 Be able to take responsibility for own personal and professional development
2.1 Evaluate own current skills and competencies against professional standards and organization objectives
Currently I possess a lot of skills and competencies which is required in the professional life and I am perfectly fit to help organization to meet their objectives. Some of my current skills can be discussed as below:
- Time management skills: I am good at managing time and I am always in time for all my classes. I finish all my assign work in time and before deadline. I always do proper planning to complete my work in time and work according to my plan.
- Communication skills: I am good and an effective communicator. I can good at making a healthy conversation wit people but still I need some improvement in my language skills. I sometime make some grammatical mistakes which need to be improved. Also I need to improve on my public speaking skills.
- Team skills: I am good at working in teams with the same objective and know how to help others to get the work done. I also know how to get the work done from others. I can gel with people very easily and make friends easily. I need to improve my team leading skills a little bit more.
- Management: I am a good manager of things and have worked in organizing many events at college. I know hot to manage people and work properly. I need to get some professional degree on this as the management skills taught in our college in our course is limited and along with some professional experience some theory is also important to understand different aspects of management.
2.2 Identify own development needs and the activities required to meet them
It can be improved by taking part in more seminars, conferences, debates, elocution, group discussions. This can also be improved by more and more reading. This can be improved by reading novels, newspaper and practicing to speak as you read.Ian also improve my team leading skills by taking up new managerial roles and taking the responsibility to finish jobs form end to end. Team leading skills can be acquired by actually working in teams and taking the initiative to complete the work on self responsibility. I can also acquire some technical skills which I am not efficient in by reading some technical books, doing practical assignments, etc. It can also be achieved through proper training sessions (Hensley, 2003).
2.3 Identify development opportunities to meet current and future defined needs
There are a lot of development opportunities to meet the current and future needs. There are a lot of books available in the market which have lesion to improve the skills like time management skills, how to improve the communication skills, about developing different technical skills, How to become an effecti8ve team leader, etc. There also a lot of books where some of the great businessmen have shared their experiences and how they developed these skills with time and conditions. All these are of a great value to develop these skills for us. There also a lot of blogs wrote which can be found online where these things are taught with examples. Thousands of videos are available online to develop these skills.
2.4 Devise a personal and professional development plan based on identifies needs.
I can devise a proper plan to have a proper personal and professional development according to the identified needs in the above segment. I am planning to take part in more of such activities where I can take more responsibilities to do the work and get opportunity to learn these skills. I will be organizing events on my own and will proactively take part in the extra curricular activities. My plan from the current situation would be to go further and improve my technical skills and management skills. Here I would like to take on some more educational qualification on different skills like management skills in marketing. I also want to improve on my time management skills which will be helpful in me personal as well as professional life. I would be taking part in more management related tasks; I would read management related books where I can learn the skills and techniques to develop these skills. To improve my time management skills, I am planning to do more and more activities and try to prioritize my work accordingly.