Human resource management is one of the integral parts of all the today’s organizations. Especially in retail industry human resource department helps a lot in recruiting, selecting and training new employees. It teaches the process and the practices used for selecting various employees in the organization. It also makes everyone aware of the legal issues attached with the selection and recruitment process. Recruitment and selection process should always be fair and each and every candidate should get equal chance to grab the new opportunity. Management is different from leadership. We will discuss in Working with Leading People Assignment, the major differences between these two things in our further report. Leader needs to have some specific skills and he should be able to motivate all the employees working under him. Team work is very important in any organization for its success. Human resource department also helps in developing a performance appraisal process which is used to measure the performance of all the employees after regular intervals of time (Dowling, 1994). Better performers are given rewards and awards and those who are not able to perform will be given training to improve themselves in the next cycle. All the points mentioned above will be discussed in detail in the further parts of the report.
1.1 Prepare a job description and person specification for recruiting customer service assistant
Customer service assistant is one of the most important resources required for customer satisfaction. A supermarket can be run successfully only by providing the best customer service. Poor customer service may lead to the loss of one customer and he will look for any other supermarket or grocery store. He should be able to solve the problems of the customers with smile, sincerity and care.
Job description of customer service assistant in supermarket
Below are some of the responsibilities of a supermarket’s customer service assistant.
- Fielding Complaints– Customer service assistant has to take care of all the complaints and problems of the customers in their shopping experience in the store. Customer service assistant should know the way to handle the issues faced by the customers efficiently. To solve the issue he might have to deal with the other departments of the organization. So he should be ready with the contact numbers of other departments. At last customer should leave [leased from the store.
- Handling Money– Customer service assistants are also present at the counter to collect money from the customers. Billing should happen on first come first serve basis. Random and delayed billing makes other customers angry.
- Understand store policies– Customer service attendants should know all the policies such as return policy, money back policy etc. He should be aware of all the products in the store and where these products are present.
Below are some of the personal specifications of a customer service assistant in a supermarket store:
- Communication skills– Customers interact directly with the service attendants for any problem and for any query. These assistants should have excellent communication skills.
- Basis knowledge of computer– These assistants will be handling the billing of the store and billing happens with the help of a computer. So basis knowledge of computer is very important.
- He should have good level of literacy and numeracy.
- He should be able to collect feedback from the client and he should be able to change himself according to the feedback.
Read about Travel and Tourism Entrepreneur.
1.2 Examine the impact of the legislations and ethical consideration that need to be considered in the selection and recruitment process.
There are some strict rules and regulations set up by the government regarding selection and recruitment process in any organization. Wage act is one of the examples which say that there should not be any discrimination on the basis of wages given to the employees. All the employees at the same level should be given same and minimum set wage. Employee can file a complaint against the employer if he finds any such kind of discrimination happening in the selection and recruitment process (Piotrowski, 2006). There are also acts and laws against other types of discrimination in the society and in the organizations. There should not be any discrimination on the basis of race, religion, age, sex etc. All the employees should be treated equally in the selection and recruitment process. Equal opportunity should be given to everyone. Diversity has also become one of the major issues in today’s time. Organizations are going global and they are hiring people from other nations also. This creates diversity in the entire organization. There should not be any discrimination against the employees from other country also. All the panel members in the selection process should be neutral and open minded. All the legislations and regulations set by the government has made the selection and recruitment process more neutral and all the candidates get equal opportunity to get the job.
1.3 Identify the stages, process and methods of selection which should be used for selecting customer service assistant
Choosing the right person for the right job is called Selection. There are various steps and methods involved in the selection process which are as follows:
- Job Analysis: It involves finding out the Job Description and Job specification for the vacant post. We have already discussed the job description and specification for customer service assistant.
- Advertising the job: To attract the best candidates supermarket has to advertise through internet, media, social networking, newspaper etc.
- Initial Screening: It involves the general check like qualifications, age etc. of the candidate.
- Application Form: Candidate has to fill the form which has questions related to the customer assistant job. It will help in knowing more about the candidate (Taylor, 1987).
- Tests: Written tests are taken to find out the analytical skills of the candidate.
- Personal interview: A panel of judges takes the interview of the candidates selected from the written test. It helps in knowing the qualities such as communication and interpersonal skills.
- Reference and Medical Check: Candidate has to give some good references and he should be medically fir for the job.
- Job Offer: At last job offer is given to the finally selected candidate.
1.4 Evaluate how your role as HR Manager ensures that selection process will be fair and ethical. Justify your answer
Selection and recruitment process should always be fair and ethical. I as an HR Manager will implement or take care of the following points to ensure that the selection of the customer service assistant is fair and ethical:
- I will try for having a diverse workforce. There should be a good proportion of male and female employees in the supermarket. This will help in making customers more comfortable. Candidates from the backward or rural areas should also be included (Groschl, 1999).
- I will take care of any kind of discrimination in the selection process or after the selection process also. All the candidates should be treated equally by the judges in pane. Candidates should be selected only on the basis of merit but not on the basis of race, religion etc.
- Equity principles will be adopted in the recruitment and selection process. Strict action will be taken against anyone who is found guilty of any kind of unethical practices.
- To get a diverse workforce we need to have judges from various fields in the panel. It will help in getting the best available resources.
Read more about Managing and Developing People.
2.1 An explanation of what management is and how it is different from leadership
Management can be defined as the process of controlling and dealing with the things and people. If we think in terms of business or organizations and behavior management is defines as the way by which we use the available resources effectively to achieve the goals and objectives of the organization. It helps in coordinating the efforts of the company for achieving the best results. Planning, organizing, controlling, resourcing and staffing are some of the processes of management (Armstrong, 2008). Management is different from the leadership and following are some of the differences between management and leadership:
- Managers are responsible for just administering the people working under them but leadership helps in innovating new things.
- Manager is a copy of someone and he does work according to the given guidelines but leader has its own original way to deal with the situations.
- Manager always thinks of the system, rules and regulation but leader takes care of people. Leader believes in motivating employees to achieve the goals and objectives of organization. He gives importance to the concerns and problems of people working under him.
- Manager just maintains the process but leadership helps in the development of the process and people also. Leader encourages employee to gain more knowledge and to develop them to achieve more in their career.
- Manger always thinks of completing short term goals but leader has a long term perspective for the employees and for the organization.
- Managers just believe in counting the value but leaders believe in creating the value.
- The manager is always happy with the status quo i.e. present situation and he does not want to change. Leader always try to challenge the present situation and try to improve and gain more profits.
2.2 An explanation of the skills and attributes needed for a leader and how leadership can help the supermarket chain to achieve its goals
A leader should have some specific skills which differentiate him from a manager. Below are some of the attributes which a leader should have and which can help the supermarket in achieving the goals and objectives:
- Good communication Skills– Communication skills of leader should be excellent. He should be able to understand the points and concerns of all the assistants working under him in the supermarket. He should have good interpersonal skills. All the customer assistants will feel more connected to the leader if he listens and tries to solve the problems and concerns of the employees.
- Motivator: Leader should have qualities to motivate and encourage the customer service assistants. All the employees should be given some individual goals and objectives. All the top performers should be recognized and rewarded with some incentives. Leader should be able to motivate all the low performers in developing their skills and achieve their goals in future appraisal cycle (Hughes, 1996).
- Good Decision Making Skills: Leader is the one who has to take some critical decisions in any organization. If we think of just supermarket he has to take decisions regarding the customers, products and employees. He should have problem solving and analytical skills to take quick decisions. It will help in achieving the goals of supermarket. Employee and customer satisfaction also depends upon the decisions taken by the leader.
- Commitment: Leader has to lead from front. If he is committed to his work then only he will be able to motivate the employees working under him to be committed to the supermarket’s goals and objectives. He has to give his 100 percent to achieve the targets set for the supermarket.
2.3 An explanation on how would you use leadership styles for different situations such as redundancy, dismissals, grievances and team building
There are various styles which can be adopted by the leader in different situations to handle the situation effectively. Some of the leadership styles are as follows:
- Authoritarian Leadership style
This leadership style is also called as autocratic leadership styles and this is used in case of crisis situation. In case of redundancy i.e. decrease in the revenue or work available this style will be the best. Leader has to be authoritative to push the employees working under him to achieve the goals and objectives. This type of leadership style puts a pressure on the workers and it is not the best style to be used to increase team building in the organization Leader always wants employees to follow his orders without saying anything. Leader focuses more on results instead of problems faced by the employees.
- Participative leadership style
In this type of leadership style everyone in the organization is give some role or duty. There will be teams for all the departments of the organization. It is one of the best leadership styles to encourage team building and to solve the grievances of the employees.
- Transformational leadership style
This type of leadership style is used to make big changes in the organization. Leader has to be very visionary and he should have plans for long term goals. Leader is very charismatic and he believes in team building and keeping employees happy (Sosik, 2000). This leadership style also helps in reducing the turnover ratio in the organization.
2.4 A discussion on how would you as a HR Manager motivate staff to perform in a busy supermarket working environment
In a busy supermarket environment, employees feel very monotonous and they have to sell the same thing again and again. They feel very tired and dejected and they have to work for the whole day and the job is not very entertaining. One or the other day they will feel like leaving the job so there is a great need of keeping employees motivated. Below are some of the following steps which I will take to motive and encourage the workforce in supermarket:
- Monetary benefits are the major source of motivation. At the end of appraisal cycle I will give some bonus to the top performers. On the basis of their rating they will get quarterly and annual bonus. This will encourage everyone to perform better.
- Recognition in front of other employees also encourages everyone. All the top performers will be given awards or trophies in an awards ceremony.
- On a daily basis employees will be given regular breaks and I will also try to organize some fun activities on a weekly basis to change the mood and environment of all the employees.
- I will always try to be open and friendly with the staff members of the supermarket. I will be easily approachable by all the employees and I will work on the suggestion and concerns of the staff members of the supermarket.