This assignment is based on the food and beverage operations systems in tour operations management. Assignment 1 would be based on the food and beverage operations systems and the cost implications. It has further two tasks. Assignment 2 would comprise of planning and implementing a hospital event and this too has further two tasks in it.
Task 1 – Food and Beverage Operations Systems and Cost Implications
1. Characteristics of a range of food production systems and the various food and beverage service system.
The food production system comprises of centralized, traditional, cook-freeze, cook-chill and sous vide. They differ in the range of the room operations carried out in them. These operations comprise of layout of the kitchen, cooking methods and the various equipment used in them.
Almost all the food and beverage service system comprise of the following steps: Purchasing, Receiving, Storing, issuing, preparing, cooking, serving and finally consuming.
Characteristics of Food and Beverage Service System are:
- It is an important part of our life in everyday activities – Food is an item that is consumed by everybody every day.
- It has been a great contributor to the economy of the nation – Food sector helps in adding the income to the national treasure by giving its contribution to the economy.
- It has a complex and fragmented structure – There are a lot of hotels, restaurants, types of food, costing and the structure of the people involved in them.
- It helps in the creation of the employment – Food and Beverage sector creates employment for a lot of people (Okeiyi et al, 1994).
- It helps in the encouragement of entrepreneurship – There are various people who after completing their food and beverage diplomas join their own entrepreneurial activities of either opening a restaurant or a hotel.
2. Factors affecting the choice of menu and recipes for specific production and service systems, including the consideration of cost and staffing using the selected alternatives.
There are various factors that affect the choice of the menu and the recipes for specific production and service systems, including the consideration of cost and staffing using the selected alternatives are:
- Culture and ethnicity – The people are very much influenced by their ethnicity and the culture. They prefer to eat regular food as per their own culture and traditions. For example the people from Italy would prefer food of Italian Origin whereas the people from China would prefer Chinese Food only. The people have actually developed an interest in the kind of their foods that their cultures and traditions have taught them.
- Convenience and easy availability – When the people are hungry they may take up any kind of food irrespective of its type and make up. They look for easy availability and convenience in delivery. It is important that convenience of the availability of the food is also determined in the easy format.
- Facilities operations like take away and home meals – When the people get the option whereby they can easily get the food through take away and the home delivery options then they would prefer that menu. This saves the time of an individual in getting the material from outside.
- Health and Safety – Few people are very stringent on the health and safety of the food. They look for options that are inculcating the health and safety among the individuals.
- Taste and company – Based on the interest, preferences, tastes and company in which they survive affect their selection of the choice of food menu from the choices available.
- Quality of food and the size of the operation of the outlet – Few people prefer eating at the places where there exists quality and even the size of the outlet is large enough to go with their families.
- Availability of resources – Based on the transportation system and the distance and the cost in the sitting in that restaurant, the decision and choice of the restaurant operations is being done.
- Menu and its nature – The menu should be diverse and should have many options available in it.
- Needs and requirements of the various people.
- Type of place and its liveliness where the food is available – Few people for entertainment go for movies and along with that eat food at nearby places (Barrows & Bosselman, 1999).
Read More : Tour Operations Management in Travel and Tourism
3. Suitability of the selected food production systems and food and beverage service systems
The choice made is for the buffet kind of food and beverage services. This is a kind of service that is said to be other form of a self-service. Here the food is displayed on the tables very attractively. It has a perfect combination of the cold and hot beverages as well as the food. This kind of food and beverage system is very much suitable for the events, programs, conferences, seminars, and the promotional situations. It has a system of fixed pricing for it that consumers have to pay and in that fixed price they can take unlimited food and beverage for consumption. This kind of a service is suitable for the people with the large numbers and where the menu has to have varieties. The advantages for this kind of a system are: the availability of great choice, lesser skills to be required for this service and large number of people could be fed at once. The demerits of this system are: effective presentation of food and the queuing of the people.
4. Brief analysis of the issues and the processes of purchasing for a specific food and beverage operations.
Purchasing could be defined as the searching, selecting, storing, receiving and finally the use of the various commodities. These are as per the policy of catering for a company. The person involved in this activity will not only be accountable for purchasing of the specific food and beverages but also all other functions and activities linked with them. The processes involved are keeping an account of the inventory management as well as making the correct investment. Other processes are:
- Requisition of supplies, tools and equipment – This is a complete process in itself as involved the selection of the vendor and then negotiating with him on the orders being placed and the supplies at a specified costing.
- Checking the right purchase specifications for the inventory and various products – Although purchasing would be done as per the order yet the checking has to be done as per the orders and the exact specifications.
- Checking of the note for the delivery – This note would be having the clear details on the orders and the delivery done accordingly.
- Inspection of the products, raw material and the various other inventories – Without inspection and the audit of the products and the raw material, the purchasing and the inventory process is never complete in itself.
The issues with the purchasing are:
- There may not be inventory as per the actual order placed.
- Defects and problems with the inventory purchased.
- All products not received in a single point of time.
- The calculation of the associated taxes and duties on the food.
- The identification and negotiations with the various suppliers and the vendors who are involved in the activities of the purchasing and the supplies.
- Force Majure for the shipment or the inventory that is obtained from one place to another.
Read More: HNC HR Management for service sector