Introduction: – Communication is defined as a process through which information in the form of message is transmitted from one person (sender) to another person (receiver), via medium like letter, speech or technology. This communication process is regarded as effective or ineffective in relevance to the receiver understanding, i.e. in case the receiver understands the message the same way as sender wants him to understand the communication process is effective and vice versa.
Body: – Communication as a process has various roadblocks or barriers some of them are: (FIELDING, Michael, 2006)
- Encoding Barriers: – A series of functions bringing about a result and putting them together into an orderly functional symbol s so as to represent a message requires great skill and knowledge. The below-listed obstacles can interfere with the message which is capable of producing a result.
- Lack of Sensitivity to Receiver: – The act or process of failing to function or continue in the communication may result when a message has not been adapted by its receiver. Recognizing the needs of the receiver, his language skills, subject knowledge and his status assist the sender in preparing a successful message.
- Lack of Basic Communication Skills: – The receiver will not understand the message if the sender has trouble in selecting the correct words required and then arranging those words insufficient
- Knowledge of the Subject: – If the sender does not have enough knowledge about something, the receiver will definitely not get a clear message. While shopping for an electronic item, we see that some salesmen can explain very complicated terms also while Others cannot.
- Information Overload: – If the message has too much information, it may tend to become a barrier as the amount of information coming is too large which causes difficulty in interpreting the correct meaning of the message.
- Emotional Interference: – An individual who is emotional can never sell well as he cannot communicate properly. If a person is angry, resentful, fearful, joyful or hostile, he may be too much occupied with his emotions to receive the message.
- Transmitting Barriers: – Things which get in the way of transmission of message are called noise. Noise causes difficulty in communication and some other problems which are discussed below-
- Physical Distractions: – Communication can be destroyed by a defective cellular phone or a noisy market place. If an e-mail or any other letter is not written properly and contains a lot grammatical or spelling mistakes, the receiver will not be able to concentrate on the subject rather he will find it difficult to understand the meaning of it.
- Conflicting Messages: – Messages that create a conflict in the sender’s perception for the receiver results in a communication that in incomplete.
- Channel Barriers: – An inappropriate selection of modes of channel also causes difficulty in communication. For example, detailed information on the telephone may become frustrating for both sender and receiver.
Consequences of Ineffective Communication (KRIZAN, A.C. et al., 2010)
Click here to get solution of Unit 3 Developing Manager Assignment
The result of the communication system that is not so effective is that the employees become so wavering and irresolute to work with their manager that they also sometimes argue with their managers and with their inputs and opinions. They start filing more and more complaints and keep their managers uninformed and also avoid talking to them. Employees put their best efforts to hide their quality or condition of being deficient. They stop taking responsibilities. The poor communication skills result in the mismanagement in handling the important projects.
Conclusion: – Communication process has various barriers and if the communication process overcomes these barriers then only it is said to be effective else the process is ineffective and in case the process is ineffective there are various consequences to ineffective communication as well. Also to add here communication can be defined and understood as a different stream in different cases but their effectiveness and efficiency of communication and its process has to be more or less same or even much higher than the earlier case. Also communication is further highlighted in this project, main heads under this assignment is business communication, which is a link between any business and its customers, suppliers or others parties in a business normal context.